Peanut Butter Blossoms were one of my favorite childhood cookies. I can still smell the nutty peanut buttery aroma wafting out of my kitchen oven. I can still see my mom topping each peanut butter blossom with a chocolate kiss.
Now that I have a daughter, I'm making a list of fun snacks we can make in the kitchen together. And if you know me, then you know my next thought is: how can I make these reminiscent of my fave childhood cookie but gluten-free and with no added sugar.
So I got to work in the kitchen. And I even surprised myself. Sometimes we think "oh gluten-free, oh vegan, oh there's no added sugar in this?" and then we brace ourselves for something that tastes like cardboard.
These 7-ingredient gluten-free and no added sugar peanut butter blossoms are not only better than the real thing, they're actually REAL.
So if you're looking for a last minute holiday cookie or just another everyday dessert, YOU'RE WELCOME...
INGREDIENTS (makes 8 regular sized cookies or 3 JUMBO cookies)
- 1 egg
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/2 cup date sugar (we use Date Lady)
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- pinch of vanilla extract (or almond extract) my husband bought almond extract by mistake so I made one batch with that, and it was DELISH. Super nutty!
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- Dark Chocolate Superfood Nut Butter Cups
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees and line baking sheet with parchment paper or non-stick foil
- Mix peanut butter, egg, date sugar, and vanilla extract into a mixing bowl until all mixed. Date sugar can be a bit grainy, so you might want to use a hand mixer.
- Add almond flour and baking soda and mix until you have a cookie dough like texture.
- Shape cookies into balls with your hands and place on parchment paper/foil 1 inch apart so the cookies have room to rise.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Jumbo cookies typically bake for 12ish minutes.
- Take cookies out of oven and, after 3 minutes, place Superfood Cup in the center of the cookie.
- And there you have it! Better-for-you, gluten-free, no added sugar peanut butter blossoms!